top of page

You'd Never Guess: The Surprising Smell That Signals Chimney Danger

Creosote buildup in chimneys is a common issue faced by homeowners with wood-burning fireplaces or stoves. It's a natural byproduct of wood combustion, but when it accumulates to dangerous levels, particularly in its third degree form, it becomes a serious fire hazard. One of the key warning signs of third degree creosote is a distinctive smell, often overlooked or misunderstood by many. In this blog, we delve into the warning signs of third degree creosote, with a special focus on its odor, to help you maintain a safe and efficient fireplace.

What is 3rd Degree Creosote?

Creosote forms in three stages:

  1. First Degree: A mostly dusty and sooty layer, easily brushed away.

  2. Second Degree: Harder, flaky, and more tar-like, requiring more effort to remove.

  3. Third Degree: The most dangerous form, resembling a thick, tarry glaze. It's highly combustible and difficult to remove, often requiring professional intervention.

The Telltale Smell

One of the earliest warning signs of third degree creosote is a distinctive smell, often described as:

  • Strong and Acrid: The odor is more intense compared to the usual smell of burnt wood. It can pervade your home, especially when the fireplace is not in use.

  • Tar-like and Smoky: Resembling the smell of asphalt or tar, indicating a heavy buildup.

  • Persistent: Unlike the transient smell of a recent fire, this odor lingers and can be noticeable even on warmer days.

Why Does it Smell?

The smell is due to the concentrated, volatile organic compounds in third degree creosote. These compounds are released as gases at room temperature, especially when the chimney heats up during a fire. They permeate the living spaces, often becoming more pronounced during humid or rainy weather.

Other Warning Signs

Besides the distinctive smell, there are other signs to watch for:

  • Reduced Fireplace Efficiency: Difficulty in starting fires or a noticeable reduction in the heat output.

  • Visible Buildup: A shiny, tar-like substance on the walls of your chimney.

  • Smoke in the Living Area: Smoke entering the room instead of rising through the chimney.

  • Rapid Soot Accumulation: Excessive soot buildup around the fireplace.

The Risks

Third degree creosote is a major fire hazard. It can ignite at relatively low temperatures and burn at extremely high temperatures, making chimney fires difficult to control. Moreover, it can cause air flow blockages, increasing the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

What Can You Do?

  • Regular Inspections and Cleaning: Schedule annual inspections and cleaning by professionals like Warrington Chimney & Fireplace. They can assess the creosote level and clean it accordingly.

  • Burn Dry, Seasoned Wood: Wet or unseasoned wood increases creosote buildup.

  • Proper Fireplace Usage: Ensure adequate air supply when burning wood to minimize incomplete combustion.

  • Be Alert to Changes: Pay attention to changes in fireplace performance and odors.

The smell of third degree creosote in your chimney should never be ignored. It’s a clear indication that your chimney needs immediate professional attention. Regular maintenance and being aware of the warning signs can greatly reduce the risk of chimney fires and increase the longevity and safety of your fireplace. Remember, a clean chimney is not just about cleanliness; it's about safety.

1,313 views0 comments
bottom of page