top of page

5 Common Causes of Chimney Odor

Your fireplace can help you maintain a cozy and warm home. However, your chimney can hold bad odors. You should get a chimney inspection in Chester County, PA if your chimney has an odor. The following things can cause your chimney to develop an odor.

Negative Air Pressure

If there is negative air pressure, then it can be harder for the odors to escape your home. There are things that you can do to prevent odors that are caused by negative air pressure. You can put up a glass fireplace screen. You can also keep the dampers sealed.

There Is Too Much Moisture in Your Chimney

Rain and snow can cause moisture to accumulate inside your chimney. If moisture is trapped inside the chimney, then mold can develop. You may have mold in your chimney if you notice a musty smell. This is a problem that has to be fixed right away.

There Is Excess Soot and Creosote

One of the reasons that you need to have an annual chimney inspection and cleaning is because excess creosote is removed. Creosote is the tar that is created when the wood is burned. Not only can this create odors, but it is also a fire hazard.

There Is An Animal in Your Chimney

Animals often seek shelter in chimneys. If an animal gets stuck inside of the chimney, then it can create an odor. There are also some animals, such as birds, that will build their nests inside chimneys. These birds may stay inside of your chimney for several weeks.

Bees are another animal that may end up inside your chimney. You will not only notice a smell, but you may also notice that your allergies get worse. You may not be able to take care of the bees on your own. That is why you need to hire a professional.

There Are Leaves in Your Chimney

You may need to get your chimney cleaned after the fall. If leaves end up in your chimney, then there may be an odor. The reason that smells develop is that the leaves tend to decompose over time. Other types of debris can also accumulate inside your chimney and cause an odor.

It is important to note that leaves are a fire hazard. They can also make it difficult for the fumes to escape your home, which can be dangerous for you.

3 views0 comments


bottom of page